Sunday, May 9, 2010

May 3 to 9

Monday
Heavy rain over night and rain this morning. By evening the storm had cleared away and it was sunny and humid, 25 C. Some gardening today. Worked on sourcing my Link family. Walked 10.8 km.

Tuesday
The day started off cloudy and then improved to sunny abt 23 C and then back to cloud. I was back at the Friends of the Library and Archives Canada sorting books. Lots of books packed today. Had a rest in the afternoon. In the evening as Editor of The Ottawa Genealogist, I went to the monthly board meeting of the Ottawa Branch OGS. Had a chat with the Publications person about a new CD he is creating and then chatted to the secretary about a French Baptismal record from 1704 that I am trying to transcribe in French and then translate into English. Walked 8.9 km.

Wednesday
Sunny and warm today 25 C. There was some threat of showers throughout the day. We finally got our Locust tree in the front yard trimmed. There were a lot of dead branches in the top. It looks kind of bare right now but will soon leaf out in full and look better. We also had a spruce tree removed form the back yard. We have propped this tree up for 30 years and now it has fallen to the spruce bud worm. Late afternoon we went shopping at a local garden center for some perennial plants. Biked 14.1 km. Walked 5.8 km.

Thursday
Cloud, rain and then some sun today. Spent the afternoon and evening in Williamstown, Ontario. I went there to give a talk on the Mohawk Valley trip and Sir John Johnson to the Glengarry Historical Society at the Sir John Johnson Manor House in Williamstown. The talk went well and we had about 50 in attendance, a few who I had met previously. My wife ran the laptop and the slides for me. Our local hosts provided an excellent dinner. Walked 4.1 km.

Friday
Sunny until about mid afternoon then it clouded in. Cool wind. Had the furnace air ducts cleaned today. Did some serious gardening as well, including emptying the compost bins and then roto-tilling the garden. I was very tired after the yard work, so after supper we watched a movie. I also sorted through a box of papers relating to my involvement with the Alumni Branch of The University of Western Ontario here in Ottawa. I noticed I was involved from the start up in 1980 until about 1997. My wife was also involved for about 14 years. I plan to pass the papers on to the head office soon. Walked 7.5 km.

Saturday
Rain today. We went shopping for a bit around noon. Tried to do some genealogy today but I kept falling asleep at the computer. We had the two dogs over for the evening while their parents were visiting elsewhere. Walked 4.8 km.

Sunday
It was really cold this morning, 1 C. with wind. Last night I put some of the flats of plants we bought the other day into the garage. Worked on my genealogy a bit today. We watched a video on New York City we bought a couple of years ago. Nice review of the big city sights. Our daughter, son-in-law and dogs were over for a visit and Mother's day supper. Walked 2.4 km.

No comments: