Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 3 Research at the Family History Library Salt Lake City October 28th

On the third day I spent a bit more time looking at German parish records for Schoenbeck, Brohm, Mecklenberg, Germany. I was looking for occurrences of the Schultz, Neumann and Schmidt surnames. Then I took out the list of books I had printed off of the Family History Library Catalogue which contained references to Kip or Kipp families. These family books are located on the Main Level of the FHL.

This is the morning that we decided to be at the front door of the library before 8:00 opening to see if it was true that there is a long line of researchers waiting to get in. It is true! Every morning that we were there before 8 a.m. there were always about 60 people waiting to get in. No pushing and shoving just waiting patiently.

This was a busy day of pulling books from the shelf, finding the pages in each book where Kip/Kipp is mentioned and then photographing the appropriate pages. Yes you heard me, photographing the appropriate pages. Using a good digital camera that has at least 10 MP and anti-shake technology a researcher can accumulate many images in a short time to be viewed later on a computer. It is a good idea to practice your document picture taking techniques in advance so you can be confident you can hold the camera steady. Turn off your flash of course. This day I took over 300 images to look at later at home. The 2nd day I took over 130 images.

Perhaps I should explain the while I had a few specific objectives for this trip my main reason for being at the FHL was to collect as much information as I could on the Kip/Kipp families, so I could look at it later and then incorporate new stuff into the Kip Family in America file.

No comments: